[lbo-talk] Black Panther Coloring Book

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 11:56:49 PDT 2010

I do not want to split hair, but they did not stand a chance - cointelpro or not. No armed insurrection in the US stands a chance. Far better armed and organized efforts, such as 'coal wars' were defeated, mainly by private goons only with relatively small government help. And then there is the Civil War - the confederates showed tactical superiority over the federals (regardless of what one may think of their cause) - but they were defeated too. So what makes you think that the Panthers had a chance if it were not for cointelrpo?

If you want my opinion, strategic deployment of political action on multiple fronts, from community organizing to forming alliances at the federal level - such as that pursued by MLK - can produce far better results than "direct action." In fact, gun toting is not only silly but also counterproductive - as it legitimizes repression and the use of violence by the other side.

And this is true of other countries as well. The Red Army Faction and the Red Brigades tried that in Europe and failed miserably, and so did the Basques. It gets much worse in such bastions of democracy and human rights as Turkey, Peru, or Mexico. Kenya can be especially illustrative: while the Mau Mau uprising was thoroughly defeated, Kenyatta's political action led to national independence. So democracy or not, armed rebellion against modern state stands zero chance of success.

Wojtek