[lbo-talk] Black Panther Coloring Book

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 29 14:06:12 PDT 2010

I notice that Chuck still finds it necessary to deny that the Panthers could be compared to Weatherman. I thought I had mentioned several times on this list a key fact about Fred Hampton. Among his many activities during the last three months of his life, a major one was going from black high school to black high school giving the same speech: a harsh criticism of Weatherman. Not only were the Panthers not comparable to Weatherman, they rejected completely, their very existence rejectected everything Weatherman stood for.

Chuck makes some important points in his post, but he also repeats some serious falsities about the Panthers and the '60s. The Panthers were a continuation, NOTa rejection, of the Civil Rights Movement at which Chuck sneers. That sneer would have outraged the Panthers.

Other aspects of Chuck's post are more complicated, and I hope to return to them in another post.

Carrol