[lbo-talk] Enthusiasm

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 30 18:09:22 PDT 2010

It was before radio or TV. I presume TR's idea was that people listened to the president -- hence he could speak to the whole nation as a minister preaches to the Congretgation. It's possible masses of people would have listened to Obama in early 2009 -- but the only message he ever wanted to give the people was "Screw you," there's a world out there to control for business, and we need money for a military to suppress all threats to a friendly climate for business. That isn't a message which would have impressed many.

Carrol

CB: I think you should elaborate your "bully pulpit" theory of the residency. It is a quaint expression, but I'm not sure the President, articularly Obama, has any such ability to bully rightwing Democrats nto deserting their ruling class constituents. Clinton didn't.

Lest there be any confusion: The expression, "bully pulpit", coined by Theodore Roosevelt, means "excellent pulpit", not a pulpit from which to bully people.

Jim