[lbo-talk] Saturday

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at sydney.edu.au
Sat Oct 30 20:14:03 PDT 2010

I agree with both Sean and Chuck. Perhaps as a non-American it doesn't much matter what I think. But I'd donate to the cause of having a Stewart-Colbert type of voice in Australia right now. The available alternatives don't pay nearly as much attention to the kind of historical context that undoes high political rhetoric.

I don't think I'd call myself a moderate, but then again I'm not sure what I call myself in those political terms. I'm not sure I even know what "a moderate" is. I am sure that if I'd been in NY this weekend I would have gone to Washington.

Catherine

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Sean Andrews Sent: Sun 31/10/2010 13:45 To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Saturday

I agree. I also don't think it is fair to make Stewart--a comedian--responsible for raising a radical message of anti-imperialism and anti-capitalism. The show before him is South Park, whose author's made the raving pro-imperial yuk fest "Team America." The show after him is Colbert, who is a faux right wing pundit which makes him able to poke fun at the right wing in ways that are a bit more critical. But they are all on a basic cable channel that is mostly showing old b-movies and stand up comedians of the non-edgy kind. Seriously, this is not where we should look for critical journalism or even deep criticism of our social system as a whole. He goes a lot further in critiquing both journalism and the system, but that really shouldn't be his role. I would say that a few weeks ago, in his interview with his old college pal whose now a GOP senator in VA (forget his name) he was pretty great on talking about the need for strong labor laws and government protection of worker's rights. And while he might have been civil to Obama--he's rarely confrontational in interviews--the show has had plenty to say about the administration that could hardly be classed as positive.

I would also note that one of the most effective things they do on that show is to simply compile clips of politicians speaking. The other day, they had John McCain saying that Washington was broken, that he would need to fix it--but they had clips of him saying almost this exact same phrase almost every year since 1989. They do shit like that all the time and it is very effective at showing how ridiculous these lying bastards are. Every other national TV outlet has far more access to archival material like this, but they almost never use it, basically sniffing the throne of the presentism that pervades our ahistorical society up and down and effectively letting the powerful get away with the open secrets everyone in that class knows.

The fact that there is little space in US culture for a critical leftist voice is not the fault of a centrist comedian and holding him accountable for that seems like a lame game of target practice.

As for the allure of the march, I think it is a very strange form of satire--it was basically a big party that someone on your favorite TV show was throwing on the pretext of it being like a political rally. The actual banter, what I saw of it, wasn't all that funny, but the point I would imagine, for most people, was that they were part of something--and that it didn't overtly color itself as an overwhelmingly ideological endeavor. But it was also a major media figure you see on TV having an event that usually fits into a different genre. And like CHuck says, there are a lot of people--I admit, myself included--who find something refreshing about what Stewart and Colbert do on TV. I can obviously find much more radical things written elsewhere, etc. but there isn't a wide variety of news or even opinion in this format--and as Doug says most of it, with the exception of FOX, is not all that entertaining.) I never mistake him for being a radical, but Maher is far more reactionary than either of them. But for comedians (or even anyone) who put on a major TV program, I don't think there are many other options. You could go the Carrol route and never turn on the TV at all, but sometimes it's fun to not be an angry, disappointed leftist for a few minutes a day.