[lbo-talk] Saturday

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at sydney.edu.au
Sat Oct 30 22:21:12 PDT 2010

The Chaser isn't the same at all, I don't think. It's far more Law Review. "We're not only cleverer than anyone else we are the only people who don't completely suck." I hardly ever thought they were funny and I certainly never felt they were capable of criticism rather than taunting.

I know people who like them, certainly, or think they're clever. But whatever you make of TDS's politics The Chaser would never have managed any Australian equivalent of the undermining of McCain's rhetoric or the conversation with Obama. I've heard the argument that this is because Stewart claims an earnestness that would never carry in Australia - it would just be mocked right back - and The Chaser (like the D-Generation etc in earlier versions of the same satirical comedy) is what Australians will permit. But I don't think that's a very good reading of either Stewart or The Chaser.

Catherine

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Mike Beggs Sent: Sun 31/10/2010 16:06 To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Saturday

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Catherine Driscoll <catherine.driscoll at sydney.edu.au> wrote:
> I agree with both Sean and Chuck. Perhaps as a non-American it doesn't much matter what I think. But I'd donate to the cause of having a Stewart-Colbert type of voice in Australia right now. The available alternatives don't pay nearly as much attention to the kind of historical context that undoes high political rhetoric.

Well, there's the Chaser - seems about the same niche though not daily of course. And the funny thing is we do have Stewart-Colbert on daily too...

Mike Beggs