[lbo-talk] On Not Owning a Television (was Re: Saturday)

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 07:52:30 PDT 2010

Sean A.

> You could go the Carrol route and never turn on the TV at all, but sometimes
>it's fun to not be an angry, disappointed leftist for a few minutes a day.

Maybe you need some special rationalization so you like to shit on people who don't own one, but frankly I will join ranks with Carrol. I also do not own a television, and I don't suffer any particular lack from it.

I have a large-screen computer monitor, and a DVD drive, and am able to watch everything worth watching. The widespread adoption of DVD means anyone can have a collection of movies encompassing Godard, Hitchcock, Fassbinder, Tarkowski, Wertow, Murnau, Lang, or Welles without any difficulties. Any good to excellent television series eventually make it onto DVD, where they can be watched in a block rather than the irritating serial form (and I think the form of serial cliff hanger for series like the Sopranos clouded peoples' judgement at the time in terms of being able to assess how good it actually was).

In the 21st Century there is less reason than ever to own a television.