[lbo-talk] '... topics for discussion and further research ...'

martin schiller mschiller at pobox.com
Sun Oct 31 11:22:21 PDT 2010

doug reported ...

> Michael Reich asked me to conclude with some questions that could serve as topics for discussion and future research. I’m happy to present these as questions, since I don’t really have good answers for them. First, am I missing something in seeing little prospect for serious economic recovery? I’ve long lamented the left habit of seeing no way out of a future of endless stagnation.

My small project here is promoting the addition of a modest production facility to the program of the local high school. Since this is Oregon, and timber is readily available, my suggestion for local politicos (who have all taken up facebook and other social networking avenues of access) is to propose a small lumber mill for students to run and operate as a payroll producing business. It would be a place for students to work and grow and produce within the local economy, rather than leaving for Portland or Beaverton jobs. It would be an educational tool, with the additional benefit to the community of having a local source of building material. The market for it's product being local, it should not be difficult to defend it against any attacks from 'big business'. And best, it would be a community owned 'means of production', not subject to being dismantled during economic downturns.

martin