[lbo-talk] On Not Owning a Television

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 18:09:12 PDT 2010

Catherine: "Actually, you and many other people need to have studied a vast number and array of bowel movements in order to know how that particular small sample should be understood."

[WS:] You need many "samples" or more precisely many observations (i.e. a large sample) only if the population from which you sample is diverse - to ascertain adequate representation. If the population is homogeneous - a small sample will do.

More importantly, however, the metaphor I used pertained to the nature of the substance being sampled, not the sampling methodology.

Wojtek