[lbo-talk] tea party numbers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 1 16:55:20 PDT 2010

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At 03:17 PM 9/1/2010, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >until overwhelming evidence to the contrary is provided, I will
> >maintain that tv, radio, etc. never change anyone's mind (or only an
> >insignificant number) but merely strengthen these preexisting viewpoints
> >as Jefrey describes here.
>
> Rush Limbaugh's program became popular four years after Reagan was
> elected. The continued popularity of right wing radio hosts is a
> consequence of right ascendancy, not the other way 'round.

This makes good sense.

Most people are pretty busy 'keeping going' and having a little fun in the insterstices. They drift with the current. There's nothing wrong with this. Living is not easy. That is one major reason it is so difficult to build up serious resistance, and capitalist strength remains the "Normal State of Affairs." Leftists just have to be fast and militant when openings arise. Then the process you describe gets reversed, and even popular shows feature bits like Buffy on Carson's show singing her only decent song -- with gusto. For a short time radicalism becomes popular abut never of course among the majority but just among enough to make a difference.

Carrol