[lbo-talk] Tea Party Numbers (and Chomsky's citation of polls)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 2 11:10:44 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2010, at 10:52 AM, SA wrote:
> [clip]The right's ability to mobilize ideology[clip]

> But I think the "ideology" taps into "common sense" - received wisdom, imprinted patterns, cultural/political instincts. That's why it's so easy for the right to make it work for them.

Absolutely. Ideology is not mobilized; rather, it is the _terrain_ of political struggle. And common sense can NOT be refuted by arguments or other sorts of peresuasion.

For a useful distinction beetween ideology and propaganda or other explicit positions see See Barbara Fields, "Slavery, Race and Ideology in the United States of America," NLR 181 (May/June 1990), pp.95-118.

Carrol