[lbo-talk] question for those who remember the 70s

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 11:53:47 PDT 2010

In reading historical sources from the mid-70's, I find a huge amount of talk expressing the idea that Americans were feeling oppressed by an overload of bureaucracy. This talk wasn't just coming from anti-government conservatives; often liberals would say it in a sort of "I hate to admit it, but..." kind of way.

Nowadays, at least among people my age, this sort of feeling doesn't exist (in my experience) except in scripted right-wing boilerplate.

Did actual American life seem so much more regimented or bureaucratized in the 70's?

SA