[lbo-talk] question for those who remember the 70s

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 2 15:09:05 PDT 2010

Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Chuck Grimes writes: [clip]
>

> Compared to today, that sounds dreamy :-)

I think Chuck's account is accurate, but I also thin he (quite naturally) overemphasized the positive inheritance from the '60s -- i.e. negative reaction to cops. But the _emphasis_ needs to be put on the more or less successful rejection of the '60s by most. Chuck himself has several times described eloquently his own losing battle to maintain the gains of the '60s. What SA wants, I think, is an account of how the current conservative reighn developed: i.e. we need to focus on the events which gave us the libertarian creed: love cops but hate welfare.

Carrol