[lbo-talk] Michael Heinrich on Capitalism and the State

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 3 08:59:02 PDT 2010

On Sep 3, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Eric Beck wrote:

> Is it capitalist to point out that Keynesian arrangements depended on
> a centralized and nationalized workforce?

Yes, to a point (though of course Hayek liked to say this too). But Keynesian arrangements - by which I assume you mean a commitment to a full-employment policy combined with a decent welfare state - also increases the relative bargaining power of labor against capital. It's why capital hates Keynesian arrangements, and set out to bust them up in the late 1970s. You make it sound like it's all about regimentation and subordination, but the ruling class doesn't see it that way.

Doug