[lbo-talk] Tea Party Numbers (and Chomsky's citation of polls)

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 09:52:31 PDT 2010

Doug to Eric: 'It's why capital hates Keynesian arrangements'

No, I don't think so. The capitalists of the 1960s favoured such Keynesian arrangements, which seemed to correspond to the secular expansion of capitalism at that time.

I don't know what was happening in America, but in Britain we had a pointedly Keynesian government from 1997 to this May, which was committed to counter-cyclical spending. The involvement of the state in private industry was extraordinary. (What Tony Blair's and Gordon Brown's administrations could not do was to build up any kind of popular constituency around this spending, for other, ideological reasons.)