[lbo-talk] Austerity In The Face Of Weakness

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 3 16:48:15 PDT 2010

Marv Gandall wrote:

> Nonsense. No ruling class was ever overthrown without the masses considering their conditions of life were worsening and there was no longer any hope of peaceful redress of their grievances within the existing system. But this did not mean they were tired of living and devoid of all hope.

And all I can say is Nonsense! I guess we have reached an impasse in this discussion; Our perception of three centuries of struggle are too disparate.

(1) The struggle for better conditions is necessary, (2) but it can never point beyond capitalism: in fact, it is the health of capitalism -- it maintains the system.

Anyone who quotes either (1) or (2) without the other is lying about my views. Carrol