[lbo-talk] Newsweek Poll: 57 percent say government spending on jobs should be top priority

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 18:47:23 PDT 2010

RE: Somebody: No, American's are just stupid.

[WS:] I guess it depends how you define stupidity. If it means to indicate a learned behavior aimed to dismiss facts and perpetuate delusions about one own's status - then yes, I agree with it. OTOH, I wonder if this malaise is worse in the US than elsewhere. AFAIK, Poland is full of political delusions - more so on the per capita basis than the US; Russia, Hungary, Czech Republic, and Israel are probably in the same boat too. The UK/Irish Europhobia borders on a delusional state too. And then you have seemingly liberal countries like the Netherlands or Switzerland electing right wing lunatics to their parliaments.

I admit, it is very disheartening to observe the outcomes of elections nowadays (in this country and overseas), but then I keep reminding myself that this is only a political circus arranged by political marketers - amounting to nothing more than professional wrestling games. This show is carefully designed to stir human emotions, so many people emotionally react to to (just as they do to the movies, which is obviously a fake reality) and take sides with what they see as heroes and against what they see as

villains. It is difficult to blame them - its human nature.

The good thing is that the outcomes of this political circus matter as much as who wins a football game or a professional wrestling match - the state, like the Titanic travels its own course decided by captains of industry and their men in the body politics. You guys saw it with your own eyes - electing Obama changes political rhetoric quite a bit, but the policy course stayed pretty much unchanged. So if Obama loses to some white Repug asshole that may appear upsetting - just as seeing a bad guy beating up a good guy in the movies - but it will not change the course of the Empire.

The bad thing, though is that it does not give us much of a hope for change.

Democracy, or party politics and elections to be more precise, is a farce, a show to appease the mases that can produce no more change than, say, a prayer. But we do not seem to have an alternative mechanism at the moment to change the course of this ship set by captains of industry.

Wojtek (currently in the Philippines, where the fallout from the hostage situation two weeks ago still dominates the news)