[lbo-talk] Bill Gates as "Tea Party" supporter? where?

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Sep 6 12:37:06 PDT 2010

So, anyone got any direct, verifiable reference about Gates putting money into the Tea Party?. FC

-----------

You'll probably have better luck tracking Gates through education policy. Diane Ravitch mentions him as a big supporter for privatization of education. I believe it.

He has an obvious business interest in the computerized classroom, software and production of CDs instead of text learning materials. And there are other dimensions, like the break up of teacher unions, and the de-skilling of teachers into a short term work force of a couple of years before they burn out and move on.

To get a hint at what curriculum is like, look up the industry for reading and math programs. There are entire `systems' made for home schooling, church schools, private charters. They are structured through study guides to make teaching into a production system that anybody can fit.

So, my guess these `teaching' systems are one means toward a de-skilling system for teachers. On the other side of the production, there are the kids. Below is a link to a discussion on Race to the Top and Chicago schools:

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/9/3/educators_push_back_against_obamas_business

The key point of interest for me was the predicted outcome of a work force with an eighth or nineth grade education to fit the bulk of jobs that require about that much education.

Lois Weiner makes it sound a little too conspiratorial for my taste. I think the education plans simply reflect what a business mind thinks it needs to fill most job slots in offices and service industries. The work in most jobs is very scripted via computer menu systems.

``Spanish language media is spreading the word that Bill is behind the Tea Party...'' FC

That's too bad. Gates's interest in education is far more damaging.

For tea party funding, follow the Koch brothers, and the Wyly brothers.

CG