[lbo-talk] Bill Gates as "Tea Party" supporter? where?

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Sep 6 14:44:31 PDT 2010

Damn, Chuck beat me to it... Alan Rudy

---------

Always my pleasure. But I'd like to hear what you and other college level teachers have to say about scripted and reduced curriculum at your levels.

I assume there is a certain need to do that. For example, getting through the main principles of a science, or math topic, or a standard canon in art, literature, history, philosophy. On the other hand, there is also a need to evoke some level of creativity, interest, and insight in students. From my remembrances as a student the grading and exam system was a giant inhibitor to learning and exploration. There was going to be a paper and exams to get through where the grade was essential. Grades acted like a grand punishment scheme. Once I could liberate myself from caring much about grades, I really started to learn on my own and in my own interested directions.

I have two close friends who are teachers. One in undergrad level chemistry and the other in middle school algebra and math. These are almost by necessity highly scripted programs with a lot of grade anxiety. One the other hand both devote a lot of time and creativity into how to get core insights out their students.

So, I'd like to read what people in teaching have to say.

CG