[lbo-talk] Austerity In The Face Of Weakness

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 05:09:21 PDT 2010

Marv: " But you seem to be suggesting they fall of their own accord. Here I'm with Carrol: "If you don't hit, it won't fall". Even the most corrupt and isolated Romanov, Kuomintang, and Batista regimes did not abdicate without a prior lengthy struggle to repress the revolutionary forces arrayed against them. They fell when the revolutionary tremours in the society fractured their armies."

[WS:] I do not think it is an accurate interpretation of my argument.

Obviously, no political system - no matter how rotten - falls by itself.

It must be overthrown. My point it that the odds of overthrowing it change exponentially with its ability to neutralize challenges to the elite rule.

In other words, while it invariably takes a rebellion to change a regime, the rebels' chances of success fundamentally depend on the elite's ability to defend its rule. This "ability" denotes two elements working in tandem - firepower and legitimacy.

Under normal operating conditions, the elite has an overwhelming advantage over challengers to its status - not only a significantly greater fire power, but also support it receives from various segments of society. The latter should not be underestimated. Assorted leftists tend to underestimate the fact (emphasized by Max Weber) that elites typically rule by consensus - that is - because large segments of the population views the superior status of the elites, and by implication their own subordinate status - as legitimate. That is true in even most inequitable distribution of power e.g. in colonized or class societies. As long as the colonial or upper class rule is perceived as legitimate by large segments of society,

the elites can count on using native troops to suppress native insurrections, or working class militia to beat up communist agitators.

The importance of legitimacy, or legitimation (i.e. artificial construction of legitimacy) is far greater than that of elite firepower alone. Or putting it differently, the firepower can enhance the legitimacy of the elite if used "judiciously" - i.e. against "legitimate" targets (e.g. unpopular fringe elements) - but it can also delegitimize the elites and undercut it rule if used in a wrong way. The St. Petersburg "Bloody Sunday" in 1905 (i.e. using firepower against peaceful demonstrators) is the prime example of the latter. Another example is the Gdansk shipyards strike of 1971. In both cases, the elite made a grave strategic error of shooting at a "wrong crowd," and that decision fundamentally undermined its legitimacy and further ability to govern. Also, Gandhi used that principle very effectively: whether challenged (i.e. met with violent suppression) or unchallenged, the "peaceful protest" strategy visibly undermined the legitimacy of the colonial authority and made the Brits see "the wisdom of leaving India."

So any conflict between elites and rebels involves not as much raw firepower but rather a "loose cannon factor." As long as the elite can aim its guns properly (i.e. at "legitimate" targets) it can almost always neutralize the rebels. It is only when the elite loses its ability to train its guns properly either by making a grave strategic error (i.e. shooting at a wrong crowd) or by running out of "legitimate" targets - their firepower becomes a "loose cannon" that further destabilizes the ship or, in some instances, is grabbed by the rebels and used against the elite itself. The only exception is when the rebels are backed by the superior firepower of another state, in which case the rebels can outgun the elites from the start.

Wojtek