[lbo-talk] blog post: a nation in decline, part 2: signs of distress

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 08:05:14 PDT 2010

Max: "The scientific aside, what are those other interesting innovations?

I've really been out of touch."

[WS:] I am afraid that the US is losing its scientific edge as well, especially in bioscience, thanks to the idiocy of its partisan politics.

But that aside, James' comments seems a bit off the mark. The US is still in a position to buy interesting cultural, intellectual and scientific innovations and then monopolize the markets with them - but not necessarily to make them. However, the US politics is more retrograde than that in most other high income countries, even the UK - there is no desire to even buy or borrow political innovations from others, let alone make them.

IMHO, the most interesting political innovation since the creation of the UN is the creation of the EU - regardless of what one may think of certain EU policies. I mean, the EU is the first ever created confederacy of independent states - and formed by mutual consensus of all participants rather than by a hegemonic force. Not seeing the innovative character of that development smacks of British insularism and Europhobia :).

Wojtek