[lbo-talk] blog post: a nation in decline, part 2: signs of distress

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 7 10:44:20 PDT 2010

I may not be construing Pocock correctly, but this seems to clash with the Aristotelian metaphysics on which much medieval thought was based.

"Nothing is in the mind that is not first in the senses." In other words, medieval philosophy was grounded in the ability of the mind to abstract universals from those particulars, but without first grasping the particular there was no way in which the universal could be reached. See Dante, The Comedy. And Maritain starts a keey argument in his book with the demand tht we first grant the existence, independently of the mind but graspable by themind, of a single bladwe of grass.

Contrast to this Descartes's invention of analytic geometry: With that breakthrough it was possible to understand the very essence of a circle without ever seeing a circle. Ezra Pound, whose sympathies were in important respects medieval, thought that Descartes had perhaps queered our geometry by separating it from sense perception. In fact, not that almost all the princiles of modern science have to be understood without recourse to sense perception. Mathematicians can speak of 25-dimensions. Try to imagine that in sensuaus terms!

Also, contrast with one of the great passages in PL, the dance of the angels, most regular when most irregular they seemed. In other words the essence of their dance was totallyindependent from the apperance of their dance. One had to grasp it in some other way than in abstraction from the visible.

Carrol