[lbo-talk] The burgeoning US repressive apparatus

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 11:24:48 PDT 2010

CB: Actually, Marv said "some 30,000." This use of "some" denotes "an indeterminate number of something". As an indeterminate number of something , it would seem to make his statement somewhat equivocal rather than unequivocal.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Some

"Some may refer to:

* Some, a word denoting an indeterminate number of something: see Grammatical number"

Dennis Claxton

Marv Gandall wrote:

> >> "Some 30,000 people are now employed exclusively to listen in on
> phone conversations and other communications in the United States.
> >

> > I'd like to know where that number came from.

Meaning this unequivocal statement : "Some 30,000 people are now employed exclusively to listen in on phone conversations and other communications in the United States."

Is based on this equivocal one:

"Beyond all those obstacles loom huge buildings with row after row of opaque, blast-resistant windows, and behind those are an estimated 30,000 people, many of them reading, listening to and analyzing an endless flood of intercepted conversations 24 hours a day, seven days a week."

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/top-secret-america/articles/secrets-next-door/print/