[lbo-talk] job satisfaction

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 11:06:08 PDT 2010

You're smarter than that.

What I'm saying is that all tasks and rewards defined in school and academia are based on the individual and that there is no concept of anything other than the individual in the context of learning and intellectual growth.

Learning how to work with others is not natural in our culture, which largely teaches us to view others as either a burden or an enemy. Therefore there is plenty of reason to include this task as an object of reflection and practice in school.

Other than delivering newspapers, I have never had a job that did not involve working with others. Being a woman, it is easier for me to figure out how to do that. In the software world (where work is unavoidably team-based) I have run into a lot of men who do not understand that the work they do as team members is at least as important as the work they do as individuals. They create huge problems.

J.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 10:24:45 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] job satisfaction

What iis endemic in academic, and why the hell should someone learn how to work with others on a campus?

And are you iimplying that college _should_ teach people how to work with others? Absurd. Should it also teach how to put on a condom or mow the lawn or shovel snow off the sideealk. Or maybe it should teach people how to propose or the proper posture for using an ATM.

Carrol