[lbo-talk] the CFR worries about decline

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 15:07:48 PDT 2010

On 9/10/2010 5:44 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Spending $5 trillion on pointless, inconclusive wars, much of it borrowed from the Chinese?

Who is that a problem for? Us or the Chinese?

> Two more points: to much of the world, the U.S. military looks musclebound - "strong" in theory but unable to accomplish its goals. There's a lot less awe of its power than a decade ago.

That's probably true, but that's because we've been choosing some idiotic goals lately. The question isn't whether others see us succeeding at our impossible and irrational adventures. It's what they think would happen if they dared to do something that made a US counter-move all too rational and pointful. I don't think anyone takes that prospect lightly. More important, there aren't many people who seem interested in pulling any stunts right now. Who is the De Gaulle of the Twitter era?

SA