[lbo-talk] Technocrats vs. ideologues revisited

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 17:58:10 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> I realize that the patronizing attitude that many Europeans take towards intellectual and political life in the U.S. might excite skepticism in some quarters, unless you spend some time here, you probably have no idea how stunningly idiotic the public discourse can be.

No doubt. Australia and NZ have very dark sides to their political discourse as well, mainly around race, which I think could at least match the underbelly of American politics. In Australia it is often pretty open. But there is nothing like the great mass of shouty reactionaries you have over there. Conservatism is not really mobilised here outside of the political parties, which are pretty hollow shells as far as participation is concerned. Neither are conservatives so sure of themselves. And in Australia at least the labour movement has more residual political strength than elsewhere in the Anglo world.

Mike Beggs scandalum.wordpress.com