[lbo-talk] job satisfaction

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 08:51:45 PDT 2010

Carrol: "When "teamwork" is taught in college that is _real_ capitalist propaganda: it fits right in to what the corporatins want."

[WS:] Exactly. "Teamwork" is just a code word for ganging up to beat up another team and defend elite privilege against society at large.

Fraternities are perhaps the best training ground for that kind of "teamwork." It certainly does NOT mean "collaboration" as most lefties understand it - as inclusion of everyone, cooperation with everyone and sharing benefits with everyone.

A broader point - I do not understand why some people on this list find it difficult to accept that schools are agents of socialization into selfish individualism and competitiveness that defines the mainstream US society.

They are not the only agents, but certainly one of the most important one.

My wife, who is a schoolteacher, tells me horror stories about administration pushing the "business model" as the future of the public school system.

Wojtek