[lbo-talk] new blog post: a nation in decline?: part 3: an unhealthy nation

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Sep 13 11:04:34 PDT 2010

Chuck writes:

"I was talking recently to a friend who works for the state and who works with many poor people. My friend tells me that many of these people are totally ignorant of where food comes from. These are adults and they don't understand that meat comes from animals and vegetables come from plants. Wouldn't be surprised if some of them don't know about vegetables, given that you can eat a totally processed diet and never eat a regular vegetable or fruit."

Yes, for all that was wrong with the peasants, they could still feed themselves.

The sort of ignorance that grows up in a blighted urban environment is truly unprecedented.

Yet, I find it hard to believe that people do not know the basics of where food comes from.

Joanna