[lbo-talk] new blog post: a nation in decline?: part 3: an unhealthy nation

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 14:03:25 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Chuck Munson <chuck0munson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm always trying to get my brain around the fact that so many
> leftists and anti-capitalists out there spend so much time sitting on
> their hands. Is this because of "analysis paralysis"? Smugness that we
> have the right answers and believe that nothing can be done? Or are we
> like many of these people, simply struggling for survival. It's kind
> of hard to be involved with any kind of activism if you are working
> several jobs or are unemployed, looking for work and money.

This is somewhat confused. You seem to want to (rightly) criticize the idea that leftists/anticapitalists are some enlightened demographic separate from and natural leaders of the rest of the population. Right on, I say. I'm tired of hearing about how stupid/apathetic/depoliticized *other* people are.

But then you wonder why *they* (leftists and anti-capitalists) are sitting on their hands. Shouldn't the question be, why is everyone sitting on their hands? Why assume that leftists and anti-capitalists should be different than everyone else? Seems like it just replicates the divide.