[lbo-talk] Paglia on Gaga

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Sep 14 06:41:47 PDT 2010

I was talking to my 19-year-old daughter about Lady Gaga the other day, and while she likes the masks and outrageous costumes, she admits that Gaga's derivative, not only borrowing from Madonna, but Cher as well.

"Everything's been done," she sighs. "It's all just repeats now."

True. And yet I can't help but think that new forms can be pulled from the derivative mass. It's been done before. Problem is, the corporate stranglehold is pretty much total. Not as much room to maneuver as before. Communication is in flux, revenues are down, creating a more conservative atmosphere. At least here in the US. Outside, I know new currents are taking shape. At least I hope so.

Dennis