[lbo-talk] Paglia on Gaga

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Sep 14 12:36:44 PDT 2010

When I first moved to NYC in '82, I had digested as much punk/new wave as I could stand. No Wave was recent, but I didn't get into that until later. What I did get into was 20's jazz and pop, courtesy of a stage/TV actor I got to know through improv. He only listened to 78s on a Victrola, but man, what a lost world. McKinney's Cotton Pickers, King Oliver, Sidney Bechet, Jelly Roll Morton, young Louis Armstrong and his Hot Fives, and a host of male and female singers who never achieved notoriety, but who performed with passion. It was an education, the very reason why I moved from the Midwest in the first place.

Doug's right: look through the canon. There's a gold mine.

Dennis