[lbo-talk] They're teaching The Wire at Harvard

Mark Bennett bennett.mab at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 18:04:10 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> Joanna Wrote
>
> If The Wire had been about heroism, it would have been a failure. It's
about helping people understand that the problems are systemic: it did that through character, plot, camera work, diversity of topics, etc. It would be a huge step forward if Americans did understand that the issues we are dealing with are systemic.

>And editing. The Wire was absolutely brilliantly edited. A scene was
rarely, if ever, too long, and the overall story never lost it's momentum, even as it grew more complex. By the third season Simon & Co were keeping so many balls in the air that they started showing off, tossing in little narrative fillips just to get a rise out of the audience.