[lbo-talk] Jacobin magazine - issue one released

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Sep 17 07:23:15 PDT 2010

On 2010-09-17, at 9:42 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>>

>> More substantially, he says: "as far as I know the only people who are openly for illegal immigration are neoliberal economists." Not true. I am, and I imagine a lot of other left radicals are too.
>
> I also am for open borders. Verbal quibble: It doesn't quite make sense
> to say"for illegal immigration" (though one could say "support 'illegal'
> immigraNTS." One suports making "illegal" immigrants _legal_.
>
> We are not going to get open borders -- but a strong movement demanding
> open borders (making that a real topic for debate) will be necessary
> before _any_ sort of decent reforms are possible. Mass movements destroy
> themselves if they make their demands "reasonable."

Has this demand for open borders or unrestricted "illegal" immigration been raised in the Hispanic community, ie. by representative Hispanic organizations?

If not, should their programs which fall short of these objectives - ie. limited "only" to amnesty for undocumented workers and other immigration reforms - be supported, and US leftists encouraged to join immigrant right marchers? Or should the mass demonstrations of recent years have been boycotted by the US left and leafletted from the sidelines for "having made their demands too reasonable"?