[lbo-talk] Mamaguy (Was: Warren is in...)

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Sep 19 04:22:00 PDT 2010

On 2010-09-19, at 12:08 AM, Gar Lipow wrote:

>>> But. But. That almost suggests that who holds office within capitalism
>>> can make a difference .. Heretic! Hang the witch! Hang the witch!
>>
>> Gar is mamaguying (look it up), but it's true that an individual can make a difference at decisive moments in a social crisis - not in Warren's position perhaps, but at the highest level.
>

> No. because I was not making fun of the comment I was responding to
> but humorously supporting it and drawing a larger conclusion...Hostile on the surface, but friendly
> underneath (in a very transparent way) is the exact opposite of
> "mamaguying".

Yes, that's how I understood your intent. I had a good friend from Trinidad who never used "mamaguy" other than in a humorous and good natured way ("don't mamaguy me, man"). Until I checked wikipedia, I had no idea it could be interpreted as hostile ridicule rather than friendly teasing, depending on the context: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamaguy