[lbo-talk] Evaluating the Obama administration (Was: Warren is in...)

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sun Sep 19 14:31:21 PDT 2010

On Sun, September 19, 2010 1:51 pm, Alan Rudy wrote:

> Doug, then what's up with folks like Krugman w/r/t his post-War liberal
> critiques of Obama's capitulation, weakness, etc.?

One or two economists (I'd include Joseph Stiglitz as well) isn't a mass movement. Building one won't be easy -- collapsing Empires are usually hotbeds of political reaction, not innovation. Still, we've got to try, and the first step is discarding any illusions we may have about the Empire's capacity to reform itself.

The next step, I'd argue, is carefully studying Russia's 1990s meltdown and post-1999 renaissance.

-- DRR