[lbo-talk] Swedish far-right wins first seats in parliament

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 05:51:08 PDT 2010

[WS:] FDR was an exception that proves the rule. The fact that the US did not turn fascist in the 1930s as Europe did is due, in a large part, to its visceral hatred of central government.

The point I am trying to make is more about popular sentiments than the form of government. Economic downturns tend to foster fascist popular sentiments, by which I understand xenophobia and demands for "law & order." Whether those sentiments produce a fascist government is a different issue that depend, in a large part, on the instituional makeup of a particular state.

Wojtek