[lbo-talk] Evaluating the Obama administration (Was: Warren is in...)

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 06:32:38 PDT 2010

Marv: "But, then again, there are many other Americans who evidently do see the reform as possible under US capitalism and have been fighting for it, and I expect a large number will continue to do so despite their failure to secure single payer or even a public option from this administration."

[WS:] I think that your argument, which I otherwise very much enjoyed, makes one important omission - the role of partisan politics and the fundamentally reactionary judiciary in the US politics, especially in defusing any public pressure on the status quo. In fact, liberal kvetching about Mr. Obama reminds me of the Kafka's character begging a gatekeeper to let him in to the law http://www.kafka-online.info/before-the-law.html .

Political parties stand to lose from allowing a more direct connection between popular interests and administration - they thrive in an environment in which every public/collective interests is carried through political parties as intermediaries instead of being written into statutory policies and carried out automatically by the administration with minimal political intervention. That is the main reason why Europe has universal government run social programs and the US does not (even social security is more like contributory social insurance than a universal welfare program.)

But even in an odd chance that a political party may move against its own interests and try to implement a far reaching social program - there is another formidable obstacle - the judicial system allowing narrow minority interest to effectively challenge and block or neutralize any government or political initiative that threaten capitalist interests.

Pursuing any universal public interest is suicidal to any politician in the US. If such a politician by some odd chance manged to overcome internal opposition from his/her own party and push such interest through legislation, that legislation would be almost certainly defeated or neutralized in courts. This as certain as death and taxes. Any politician expending his political "capital" on such ventures would face a certain defeat.

The only chance for passing the kinds of reforms that you mention in the US is the total restructuring of the party system and the judiciary - and it is unreasonable to expect this to be accomplished through ordinary politics, either liberal or conservative.

Wojtek