[lbo-talk] Evaluating the Obama administration (Was: Warren is in...)

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Mon Sep 20 07:11:06 PDT 2010

================================= I'll admit it looks bleak. But the discussion has been about whether medicare for all is within the "realm of possibility" under the existing system. Though it's not within the realm of possibility to overthrow capitalism by peaceful electoral means, IMO, history has demonstrated that the the kind of healthcare, financial, and other reforms being sought by Democrats and independents can be absorbed by US capitalism, particularly when crises in these sectors give the ruling class an incentive to do so. Your own writings testify to this. In this context, it wasn't delusional for liberals to push for these reforms through the Democrats nor, as others have pointed out, inconsistent of them to subsequently flail the timid Obama administration for not emulating the New Deal model they had in mind.