[lbo-talk] European Welfare State

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 20 12:45:18 PDT 2010

The anti-German wrote:

> Sorry, but I agree with Jim Heartfield on American culture. And the daily newspaper Junge Welt, very communist and anti-imperialist, hardly can be accused of pro-Americanism, said very astutely with regard to American literature: "Germany does not have any Thomas Pynchons or Don DeLillos. At best, we have a few Nick Hornbys."

We do have some very good art, I won't deny that. But, going back a bit, Grass and Boll are pretty good. We've got excellent food and wine, too. When I visited Munich a few years ago I was exhausted by the endless assault of pork roast and potatoes, and I normally love pork roast and potatoes. German wines aren't without charm, but I'd rather drink our own. But I wouldn't mind a poverty rate half ours and a gini 25% lower, that's all.

Doug