[lbo-talk] Evaluating the Obama administration

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 06:02:13 PDT 2010

Chuck: "I've been to DC several times over the years and detest the city. Back in 1971 it was just about fifteen minutes removed from its antibellum Gone With the Wind days. Oh, Beauregard... Yes, dearest Scarlett? They still hadn't decided the civil war."

[WS:] I used to think that way, but recently I started appreciating DC. It has a lot of ethnic and cultural diversity - comparably to NYC - but unlike NYC it also has a lot of free culture (in NYC you have to pay through the nose for it,) a variety of good ethnic food (often better than the original), a liberal majority, a lot of green areas & parks and decent public transit system. In other words, while not NYC, DC is head and shoulder above the rest of the US (which generally sucks.)

As to Michelle Rhee - she is a highly polarizing figure. the DC public school system has many serious problems, which even the most staunch liberals admit, and many people (mostly blacks) go to the great lengths to find an alternative placement for their kids. But Rhee try to address these problems with the grace of an elephant in a china shop - by antagonizing about everyone but her staunch supporter Fenty. The culminating point was the mass firing of over 200 teachers (mostly black.) She is an unabashed corporate whore taking private money right and left to support her "merit pay" program that ties teacher salaries to standardized test scores.

Of course she is not alone - she has an alter ego in the person of the Maryland Superintendent of Schools Nancy Grasmick. The current MD governor O'Malley (D) called her a "republican ideologue" (or something to that effect) and vowed to get rid of her, but apparently it is not that easy in MD. The bitch is rabidly anti-union and staunchly pro-standardized testing and routinely earns accolades from the conservative noise machine.

This illustrates that the public school system has the fifth column inside composed of various administrative "reformers" who tirelessly work to make this system unworkable to aid the privatizing efforts from outside the system. Everyone with a half a brain can see that the "race to to the top" and push for standardized test based achievement leaves many children (predominantly minorities) in the dust - they simply drop out from schools, and makes it almost impossible for teachers to teach (as opposed to meeting administratively prescribed goals.) I honestly think that this is what the fifth columnist like Rhee, Grasmick or Obama's flack Duncan deliberately intend to achieve - make the system unworkable, thus creating the grounds for dismantling and privatizing it. They did that with the mental health care in the 1960s, and now they are training their guns on public schools.

And one more point. I do not blame Mr. Obama for not being able to push for real health care system reform or for a tougher regulation of banking industry. The powers that be are aligned against such changes, and even the POTUS cannot do much about it. But education "reform" is different. He can oppose the Republican agenda or at least not to go along with it - yet he chose to implement it. This is a big point against him.

Wojtek