[lbo-talk] Evaluating the Obama administration

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 11:26:02 PDT 2010

[WS:] But you seem to be missing my point, Charles. The issue is not that Fenty lost, but that he (and the superintendent Rhee who was Asian) were very polarizing figures, who earned the support of the whites and lost by a huge margin among the blacks

In some ways, Fenty's political career is reminiscent of Obama's, and that parallel did not escape the local observers, who see it is as a "canary in the coal mine."

Frankly, I do not think that the thinness or thickness of Obama's support has much to do with his skin color. I do not think that closet racists voted for him or ever supported his policies. Mind that he won by a rather small margin of the popular vote.

Those who supported him did so regardless of his skin color and I do not think that this has changed. His supporters are pissed because they are disappointed by his performance. Whether he deserves the blame (I do not think so) is another point, what matters here is popular perceptions.

If anything, I think that many of his (liberal) supporters hold back their reservations about Obama's performance because of his skin color. That is, they want to be politically correct and refrain from openly criticizing a black president.

Wojtek