[lbo-talk] Interesting Chilean economist, on DN today

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Sep 22 17:28:28 PDT 2010

He certainly makes a good point about different kids of poverty.

When I came to the U.S., I was nine. And what struck me about it was not that it was rich -- I mean yeah, things were clean and new and shiny and plastiky. I was struck by its poverty. In terms of human relations: friendship, solidarity, love, connections, trust....it was a dirt poor country. And it has gotten much poorer since.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Grimes" <c123grimes at att.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:02:09 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Interesting Chilean economist, on DN today

Below is a link to a Chilean economist worth listening to:

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/9/22/chilean_economist_manfred_max_neef_us

He is a bit over the top, but almost everything he says, seems right to me. He has a kind of metaphysical view that he claims to have learned from living with poor people in small villages.

CG