[lbo-talk] Evaluating the Obama administration

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 22 18:27:12 PDT 2010

Glenn Greenwald put it well on Democracy Now! on Tuesday:

"...if you ... just turned on television news and watched, you would think that Christine O'Donnell was by far the most powerful person in the world, because, especially on stations devoted to maintaining Democratic power, like MSNBC and other cable shows, it's twenty-four hours nonstop about Christine O'Donnell, because that way ... you don't have to talk about ... what we're doing in Afghanistan and Pakistan, the continuation of Bush-Cheney terrorism policies. You get to talk about Christine O'Donnell and comments she made fifteen years ago on some late night television show as a way of mocking her and deriding her and distracting people's attention from what a failure this administration has been. That's why she serves such an important role. /It's a way of manipulating and distracting the voting base/" [emphasis added].