[lbo-talk] On the virtues of print

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 16:05:03 PDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:45 AM, bhaskar sunkara <bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com> wrote:

> The question is whether it's worth the investment in time to produce content
> for print.  If we've reached thousands of people on the web, is there any
> point to having a pretty magazine in a few indie bookstores on the East
> Coast and in the mailboxes of a hundred or so financially secure readers?
>  Is it just a vanity project, pointlessly limiting how much content we can
> include, and unconsciously shaping that content by subjecting ourselves to
> certain market pressures?

I reckon if money's no problem, it's definitely worthwhile to do print. There's still something more solid about it - although I do a lot of reading online, I'm more likely to read more of a print version. It takes it out of competition to some extent with all the other stuff going on the web everyday. And there's something to be said for space limitations.

Mike Beggs scandalum.wordpress.com