[lbo-talk] On the virtues of print

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 16:43:19 PDT 2010

On 9/23/2010 6:45 PM, bhaskar sunkara wrote:

> The question is whether it's worth the investment in time to produce
> content for print. If we've reached thousands of people on the web,
> is there any point to having a pretty magazine in a few indie
> bookstores on the East Coast and in the mailboxes of a hundred or so
> financially secure readers? Is it just a vanity project, pointlessly
> limiting how much content we can include, and unconsciously shaping
> that content by subjecting ourselves to certain market pressures?

My two cents: It's a definite yes.

Seeing a little magazine like this in print really reinforces its appearance as a serious project. It's a way to build interest and readership. For the kind of reader who would ever be interested in reading something like Jacobin, seeing that it's printed makes it more exciting, like, "Who are these guys?"

You can always decide to turn it back into web-only later if circumstances dictate. In the meantime, you might catch a lot of eyes.

SA