[lbo-talk] On the virtues of print

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Fri Sep 24 04:15:44 PDT 2010

Hi Bhaskar,

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:45 AM, bhaskar sunkara <bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know we've visited this topic before (PDFs vs. print-outs, Ebook readers
> vs. bounded books), but I'm curious to hear list member's thoughts on the
> importance-- as /opposed/ to the viability --of print magazines.

Something to consider: there's a big tech-startup hangout that's basically like Digg/Reddit. For a few months now, someone's been reprinting some of the top links as a slick magazine: http://hackermonthly.com/

The audience is people who you'd expect are the last people to embrace print, as many of them seem out to kill it. If they see a lot of merit in an attractive print version... of things they can get free anyway... then it's worth considering.

Maybe a beautiful print version can lead to more inspirational thoughts than reading text on the screen. (Haven't used an iPad, so can't say how that is. But maybe even then, a pdf/epub/mobi copy of the print version could be really nice.)

All the best, Tj