[lbo-talk] Citigroup feels violated

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri Sep 24 10:15:05 PDT 2010

On Fri, September 24, 2010 9:17 am, Doug Henwood wrote:

> This morning, WordPress informed me that they’d received a “valid DMCA
> notice”—as in Digital Millennium Copyright Act—notice about a Citigroup
> research report I posted here in February 2009. Until the issue could be
> “resolved”—meaning I acknowledged this grave offense against intellectual
> property—I couldn’t post anything to this blog. Once I said “Yes, Sir,”
> my posting privileges were restored.

Hmm, I've always been fascinated by the eerie complicity between neoliberalism and neoconservativism -- the "preemptive posting" doctrine of the DMCA (you are a copyright violator until proven innocent) is very much the preemptive warfare doctrine of the neocons (you're a terrorist until proven innocent). Or maybe it's that the neolib/neocon moments represent two slightly different factions within the superstructures of the US Empire, the latter emphasizing direct imperial control, and the former emphasizing financial control.

-- DRR