[lbo-talk] One Wilshire

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 24 11:00:16 PDT 2010

I've been reading about this building and what's in it and found a bunch of photos I thought people might be interested in. I clipped a couple of taglines from the photos.

I've been in this building because an attorney we work with has offices there. It's funny because the building is a nondescript '60s office tower and the office decor is all blonde paneling, overstuffed chairs, and grandfather clocks. If you didn't know it you would never think you're walking into a key communications hub:

http://som.csudh.edu/fac/lpress/netapps/hout/oneWilshire/index.htm

Said to be the most interconnected space in the world and the most expensive real estate in North America, the "Meet Me Room" (a telco industry term) is the heart of One Wilshire. Here the primary fiber optic cables are routed, split, and shared. Because of the presence of so many telcos in this room and the ability to freely interconnect between them, rackspace here becomes extremely valuable. For comparison, the average price for office space in downtown Los Angeles is $1.75 per square foot per month. At the Meet Me Room, $250 per square foot would be a bargain.

Whenever a permit is pulled by a city contractor for any underground repairs outside One Wilshire, the various telco companies with cable in the area come out and paint the cable routes on the asphalt, creating a visible graphic of the complexity of what lies just under the surface.