[lbo-talk] Seymour Drescher and the Decline of the West Indian planters

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Sep 25 10:05:27 PDT 2010

On 2010-09-25, at 12:01 PM, SA wrote:

> On 9/25/2010 11:09 AM, Marv Gandall wrote:
>

>> MG: You understand that the first Gulf War did have "something to do with oil", that "the US did not want to "put a lot of oil in Saddam's hands."
>
> Why the obsession with oil?

MG: But I'm not obsessed with oil; I was quoting your words. I'm neither in the camp of those who said the invasion was all about oil ("no blood for oil") nor in the camp of those like yourself who said oil was never a consideration. "Finishing the job" of eliminating Saddam as a potential threat to the US oil supply which the first Bush administration had begun was one consideration. Getting rid of an obstacle to a Palestinian peace settlement on Israeli terms was another. Intimidating Iran and other members of the "axis of evil" was a third. Ensuring Republican ascendency at home by a muscular display of US power was a fourth. None was seen to be in contradiction to the broader interest of empire which has given the US unparalleled access to overseas resources and markets.

Unfortunately for the hubristic Bush administration, it never succeeded in accomplishing its mission.

> Iraq brazenly invaded and annexed a neighboring country, a recognized member of the U.N. Suppose there had been no oil. Suppose it had been, say, Noriega invading and annexing Belize. Are you really sure there would have been no US intervention?

Pretty sure, if Belize had a left-wing government which was inspiring demands for change elsewhere in Central and Latin America. The US would have sponsored Noreiga's aggession. Otherwise, the US would have intervened against Noreiga if his move against Belize was seen as damaging to US interests.

>> But the Iraqis were already sitting on a lot of oil of their own, which was of interest to all the majors.
>
> The major oil companies? What did they get out of it?

As it turned out, not very much. They secured the right to bid on Iraqi oil contracts, which Saddam had deprived the US firms of, but so far security concerns and infighting within the Iraqi government has not allowed the majors to exploit Iraq's huge reserves. The US wanted to install Chalibi or someone equally pro-US who would favour US interests and a rapprochment with Israel, but they got the Shias instead.

Gotta go now. I'll turn to your other comments when I get back later.