[lbo-talk] maps that show the racial breakdown of America’s biggest cities

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 10:22:58 PDT 2010

^^^^ CB: This is true, and it is the effect of White supremacy. But the main divisions of the working class that prevent class unity are in (racial) residential segregation and (racial) endogamous marriage and mating. In other words, de facto , not de jure, Jim Crow still exists in the North and the South, the East and the West. "At home", the working class is majorly divided. This is what capitalism "needs".

[WS:] I do not think if it is true, but even if it were, that is a pretty self-defeating diagnosis for a social activist or a reformer. If Jim Crow still lives in popular preferences, then chances are he will never die, at least not any time soon.

My diagnosis is different - it is "social market" and cultural consumption based identity on both sides. One a life style and cultural consumption style becomes a defining factor of who we are, people naturally tend to gravitate toward those with similarly define "identities." It is quite visible in social media, among other things. You do not need legal apartheid anymore, "social market" will do a far better job at segregating people.

This diagnosis at least offers a strategy for change. Change cultural identity, and Jim Crow will kick the bucket. Just look at the Army