[lbo-talk] new piece in the Fall 2010 issue of Dissent

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:39:22 PDT 2010

Some not entirely banal reportage from a recent trip to Lahore. Focus is on some of the student politics there, a bit of glib background on Pakistani history too.

(I think it might be behind a subscriber firewall. And yes, I'm aware my lede is poor...)

----

Adding a bit of jest to Hegel, Marx quipped that if history repeats itself, it does so first as tragedy then as farce. Even by this standard, it is not clear how we should characterize Pakistan’s third overthrow of military rule and fourth proclamation of a bright, democratic future. Has tragedy again given way to farce or farce to tragedy? Islamic fundamentalism has found a willing partner in Pashtun nationalism on the country’s western frontier; refugees stream across a porous border from war-torn Afghanistan and again from the Pakistani army’s own offensives. In the cities, workers face double-digit unemployment, crumbling infrastructure, and entrenched systems of patronage and nepotism. If this is a farce, no one is in on the joke.

And yet, there is still laughter at the National College of Arts in Lahore. The focal point of that campus, a sculpture of a couple kissing on a swing, embodies the lost soul of Pakistani intellectual life, once thriving and open, now increasing...

http://dissentmagazine.org/article/?article=3663